An oriental twist to classic pasta made with lemon grass, soya sauce and coconut milk. This Shrimp pasta is a variation from the usual pesto or cheesy pasta that we are normally used to cook. It hardly takes any extra time to make than the regular pasta dishes but has a full body of flavour.
Pasta is perhaps one of the most go to family meals when all fails. Mostly a fuss free kids meal, while adding proteins go down well with fussy grownups too! I like this version of adding an oriental twist to the shrimp pasta dish. It helps introduce new flavour which is not normally associated with a pasta dish.
What are the Oriental Flavours
I keep mentioning oriental flavours but what do I mean by this. An easy way to explain this is our perception of a particular cuisine. When you talk about Indian flavours, the characteristic picture that comes to our head is that of using spices, chilli and being yellow in colour. It’s the same way I have interpreted this shrimp pasta dish. Here I have used the widely popular oriental flavours such as soya sauce, sweet chilli, lemongrass and coconut milk
Quick meals are normally the best
If you are a regular reader of some of my recipes you may have noticed a pattern about Keeping it Simple!
I do enjoy food and cooking but what I do not like is the prep time and lengthy procedures. So like all my recipes here, you are more than welcome to make changes and omit few ingredients if you do not get your hands on it. It may perhaps be the lemon grass or skip ginger (although it gives it a fresh taste) or sweet chilli sauce cause it may not be to your taste.
You also have the option to make this dish into a 6 ingredients dish by using pasta, shrimp, soya sauce, sweet chilli sauce (most sweet chilli sauce has added garlic), ginger and coconut milk. Just pick up few ingredients that you think goes down with your family and try out this recipe in your own version.
Share your pasta recipe
Pasta being one of the most popular family meals, I am sure you may have your favourites too! I would love to hear what flavours you have experimented with. I make pasta almost once every week, to keep kids happy with their mom while my menu planning for one day is sorted! So any new recipe sure does help!
Found this great article on buzzfeed on easy pasta dishes which I am sharing with you for a quick reference.
So please do go ahead and drop in a recipe or ingredients list under the comment section.
A simple shrimp pasta made with oriental flavours of sweet chilli sauce, soya sauce and coconut milk.
- Pasta - 200 gms
- Shrimps or prawns - 150 gms
- Capsicum - 1, diced
- Soya sauce - 4 tbsp
- Sweet chilli sauce - 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Lemon grass - 1 stick, finely chopped
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Garlic - 3
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp
- Boil any kind of pasta that you like until al dente and set aside.
- Prepare a sauce with 4 tbsp of soya and 4 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce and keep aside for later use.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped garlic to it and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add cleaned and washed shrimps and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the capsicum and continue to saute.
- Next add the soya sweet chilli sauce and stir it in well with the shrimps.
- Finally add coconut milk and lemon grass, adjust salt to taste and bring it to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, add the pasta to the sauce mixing it well with the shrimp sauce. Serve hot.