I had made some Quinoa salad the day before and had almost 1 cup of boiled quinoa left which was a bit too little for another meal. So I decided to top it up or in this case stuff it in a bell pepper and voila what I got was a sweet and spicy Quinoa Stuffed Peppers for dinner.
I tried to give the dish a bit of a Moroccan Indian twist with the use of sweet paprika, sesame seeds and a handful of ‘Ras el Hanout’. A complex spice blend essential for many Moroccan dishes the same way ‘Garam Masala’ is to Indian cuisine. Depending on personal preference and taste both the spice mixes can be made by blending different kinds and quantity of spices.
Health Benefits of Quinoa
I would definitely recommend having Quinoa Stuffed Peppers during pregnancy if you are not adverse to the taste of peppers that is. If you have a craving for carbs, which I did during both my pregnancies then Quinoa is a great alternative. It is an excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamin B, E, antioxidants, folic acid, and plant compounds that help protect and build new cells. With a handful of dried fruits and seeds thrown in and placed in a green shell it sure is a complete health platter on one plate. You can also add few pieces of meat or chicken to it if you wish.
The image below from organic facts shows the various benefits of quinoa. So go ahead and enjoy a little green bowl of health!
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 20 minutes Yield: 4
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
A sweet and spicy quinoa dish served inside warm roasted peppers
- Cooked Quinoa – 1 cup
- Bell peppers – 4, either halved or the top cut
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 8 pods, minced or chopped
- Cherry tomatoes – cut in halves,15 – 20
- Feta cheese – 100 gms
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Sweet or smoked paprika – 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 3 tsps
- Sunflower seeds – a handful (optional)
- Raisins and apricot – a handful
- Pomegranate kernels – 1/2
- Lemon juice – 2 tsps
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Boil quinoa in stock till done and keep aside .
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Smear the peppers with olive oil and salt and roast them for about 15 – 20 mins till it becomes crunchy soft.
- In a pan dry roast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds and grind it into a coarse powder with a mortal and pestle and keep aside.
8. Add the quinoa, and mix it well with the tomatoes and onion.
9. Next add the roasted spices, paprika, feta cheese and salt and mix in well with the quinoa.
10. Finally add the sesame and sunflower seeds, dryfruits, pomegranate kernels, coriander leaves and lemon juice and gently give it a good mix.