A very easy to make spicy prawn recipe made with red hot chillies and freshly grounded spices. Tangy, hot and spicy this one really tickles your sense of flavour.
I churned up this prawn recipe the very last moment when we spontaneously invited 2 non- red meat eaters for an impromptu dinner. Much as I love to have people over and cook for them it also would have been good had I known what I was left with in my fridge as I had not been shopping for a while. So during my salvation trip into the fridge I found out that I had no vegetables or chicken. I only had a single tomato and the last bit of yogurt left. Not much I could do with.
Thankfully, they liked prawns. Prawns and fish is something I like to keep stock of. Its such an easy protein to work with. Prawns is a family favourite or ours, even my 1 1/2 year old loves to munch on them. So when in doubt with dinner, I know prawns pasta will hit the spot. But our guests being Italian, wont be going ‘delizioso’ for sure !
Chilli Garlic and Prawns an Unbeatable Combination
The one thing that I knew I could do and was confident about the flavour combination was the use of chilli, garlic and prawns. When in doubt simply sauté garlic in butter add prawns, a bit of chilli flakes, oregano, drop of honey or sugar to cut through the heat and finish with a squeeze of lemon. Voila what you have is an unmistakably delicious Chilli prawn dish which can go with rice, bread, pasta or simply as a snack.
Refuge In The Spice Drawer
My next point of call was going into my spice drawer and make a quick calculation of possible combinations I could make. Thankfully I am mostly well stocked with spices especially whole spices so that was my saving grace.
My tip to you would be to keep few instant spice blends in your cupboard for a quick reach. It not only helps in making easy base sauces and dishes but simply saves you the trouble of raking your head to come up with one.
Since I love to make my own blends, I am a bit partial to freshly made ones but the commercial blends are there for a reason and equally popular. So go ahead and try a few if you are not confident to make your own. Here, are a selection of few blends you could try from the Spice it upp webshop. Our recommended product is this beautiful carousel with 8 spice mixes.
So the next time you get stuck with limited ingredients, adding a little spice will only Spice it UPP !!
A spicy tangy easy to make masala prawn recipe
- Prawns - 500 gms
- Onions - 1, diced into small pieces
- Yogurt - 3 tbsp
- Tomato - 1, chopped
- Curry leaves - 15
- Sunflower oil - 4 tbsp
- Garlic - 5 pods
- Whole red chillies (Fresh or dry) - 3 to 4
- Pepper corn- 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- In a hot pan add all the whole spices listed under the spice paste category. This includes garlic.
- Stir and dry roast the spices for about 1 minute until all the spice change in colour and emits a string robust smell.
- Remove from fire and grind it into a semi coarse powder.
- Keep aside for later use.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onions and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and continue to sauté till it becomes soft and pulpy.
- Now add prawns to the onion tomato and mix it well. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- It’s time to add the spice paste to the prawns and coat it well with the spices and continue to sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add yogurt and curry leaves, mix well cover and cook until most of the moisture evaporates and the prawns are well cooked.
- Serve hot with plain boiled rice or paratha.